Friday, August 13, 2010

McCarty's Moldova Moments

Welcome to my blog! I'm new at this, so I hope you'll be understanding as I get started on my new adventure--both as a blogger and as a soon to be resident of Moldova.

First, let me answer a few questions.

Q. I thought you were retired--what are you doing now?
A.  About a year ago, I was thinking about how much I enjoyed my stay in Tokyo in 1994 as a Fulbright 
      scholar. Soon after, I applied for a Fulbright in eastern Europe citing a contact I had in Prague at the
      Czech Republic. The Fulbright officer called and said while they could not place me in Prague, pobablby
      many applicants there, they could place me in Moldova's capital city, Chisinau (Key shi now). I talked to
      several people who had been there the year before and agreed to teach Business Ethics and International
      Business at Modlova State University's Economics Department (Business Management Department).


Q.  So, where is Moldova? 
A.  Sandwiched between Romania and Ukraine, Moldova emerged as an independent republic following the collapse of the USSR in 1991. The bulk of it, between the rivers Dniester and Prut, is made up of an area formerly known as Bessarabia. This territory was annexed by the USSR in 1940 following the carve-up of Romania in the Ribbentrop-Molotov pact between Hitler's Germany and Stalin's USSR.



       It is northeast of Romania and south of the Ukraine. Historically, it has been a Republic for several   
       hundred years. More recently, it was a part of the Soviet Union until the "fall of the wall" and became
       independent again in 1991. Most of the people are Romainian, but there are also slavic people from the
       Ukraine and Russia.  The laguages are Romanian--based on Latin and most like Italian--and Russian.

Q.   Do you know those languages?
 A.  No, I do not. I'll try to pick up some parts of Romanian based on my long-ago study of Latin and
       Spanish, but I will teach in English.  Most students will know English, but a translator will be available for
       some students.

  Q.  O.K.--So when do you start sharing your Moldova Moments with us?
  A.  I'll arrive there on August 23rd and start classes a week or two later. I have a tempoary place to live 
        for a few days and will find an apartment during that time.  Once I get settled, I'll share my moments on
        this blog.

That's it for now!

La reverede (good-bye)

No comments:

Post a Comment